The Phorum
September 24, 2017, 08:33:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register PhAQ  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Things people do that make no sense  (Read 97429 times)
enemy anemone
Phorum Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: November 17, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »

laugh the nonsensicalness made me LOL. I would have added a picture of a devil-horned kitty. >:3
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: February 28, 2014, 01:54:42 AM »

Thing that makes no sense that is really getting on my nerves today: When someone prioritizes their life around TV, to the point of it being detrimental to their relationships.

I mean, I used to sort of get it. I've been hooked on my fair share of shows, and it used to be that you had to watch them when they were on, or at least pray that the VCR gods would smile down upon you if you dared to set it to record something while you were out.

But nowadays, we have Hulu, we have DVRs, we have iTunes, and the list goes on. The universe is generally pretty forgiving when you miss a show. Is it really that big of a deal to be planted in front of the tube when it airs, to the point where you'll cancel previously made plans with people?

Obviously this is getting on my nerves due to a specific incident, so I'll explain. My wife and I have friends in town, visiting from Germany. One of them, who is a long-time friend of ours, used to live here until she went and married a German. We were lucky enough to spend three full days with them on our trip to Death Valley - a pretty big deal considering that the main reason for their trip is to sort through crap from her old house here and figure out what to bring back to Germany with them and what to put into storage - a pretty monumental task that doesn't allow them a lot of free time during their visit. So I was pleasantly surprised when they told us during the Death Valley trip that they had time to come over to our place for a meal and a game night or something the following week. That got scheduled for today.

Fast forward to this morning, when I wake up to a text from this friend basically saying, "OMG Scandal is back tonight can I watch it at your house please please please!!!" This sort of irked me, because (a) I am not interested in this show, (b) should I ever become interested in this show, I sure as hell don't want my first viewing to be an episode deep into a subsequent season of it that would spoil many of its plot elements for me, and (c) I thought we were having friends over to do, y'know, social things. I'd even consider watching a new episode of a show we all liked together to be a worthwhile social event, because it's way more fun than watching it alone - case in point, numerous LOST viewing parties. But not when it's a show my wife and I don't care about. So I gently declined and pointed out that she should have sufficient technology to watch it online tomorrow. She insisted that she had to watch it when it airs, to the point of cutting our evening short to go back to the folks she's staying with and watch it at their place instead. That effectively reduces our social time with our friends this evening to a pittance. And now it's blown up into a big argument.

Is she worried about social media spoiling the episode for her if she waits to watch it? OK, stay off of Facebook for a little while until you catch up. Does she not have the bandwidth to watch it online? That was never mentioned as a reason for why she absolutely had to watch it on TV (and I know the folks she's staying with are more than happy to share their wifi). How the hell does she even keep up with this show while living abroad in the first place? And if a show's that important, how the hell can you not even realize it's on until the day of? Couldn't we have avoided the whole mess if, when we asked, "Are you available Thursday?", she had been able to say, "Oh, let's do another night, I'll be watching Scandal that night" or something? Shoot, if it were me and I were looking forward to a show coming back that much, I'd be counting the days, and I sure as hell wouldn't double-schedule myself, or at least if I did, I'd give my friends precedence over a show which has no feelings to be hurt.

I just. Don't. Get. It.

EDIT: The aforementioned friend just texted me to cancel tonight. I had just barely enough time to call home and tell my wife to only cook for two instead of four. Maybe my real pet peeve here is just excessive flakiness in general, which has NEVER made sense to me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:12:31 AM by murlough23 » Logged
Vlad!
Mighty Armored Assault Duck
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: February 28, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »

Sounds like you need some better friends.

Humans...have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible.... We are vulnerable, but we don’t want to be reminded of that. We want to believe that the world is understandable and controllable and unthreatening, that if we follow the rules, we’ll be okay.
-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:29 PM »

Sounds like you need some better friends.

It's just one friend; they're not all like that.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:01 PM »

People who write nontrivial scripts in bash are in a state of sin, and if they do not repent and learn a real scripting language will be justly punished for their transgressions Angry

Humans...have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible.... We are vulnerable, but we don’t want to be reminded of that. We want to believe that the world is understandable and controllable and unthreatening, that if we follow the rules, we’ll be okay.
-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: August 03, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »

Wow, have we really gone a year with everyone on the planet always making sense? That can't be possible.

My wife had a friend from Hawaii visiting last week who said something that was massively nonsensical on several levels. We were talking about our parents/grandparents and where they were born, and my wife was talking about how her Japanese mother was born in an interment camp in Wyoming during World War II. That steered the conversation towards how awful and ignorant it was of the US to lock up all of the Japanese people, and I mentioned how I hoped we had learned from that mistake and would never do anything like that again. Almost without missing a beat, the friend commented:

"That's what we should do with all the Israelis."

I was so stunned by that one, I didn't know how to respond. She went on to elaborate:

"You know, the terrorists."

I deduced at that point that she was actually talking about ISIS, so I made some feeble attempt to explain that those weren't Israelis; those were the people who hated Israel and hated the US for supporting Israel. I tried to then explain that ISIS wasn't operating in the US and that they were mostly a case of Muslims killing other Muslims over ideological rifts within that religion (or, more likely, money and power), but my wife sensed the whole thing going down an awkward road and rapidly changed the subject. Presumably this was just an innocent mix-up of names that started with the first two letters?

I should mention that this friend is (a) a fairly conservative Christian, so you'd think she'd have heard enough "Israel is always right and the US should support them forever and ever"-type dogma over the course of her lifetime to know the difference between Israel and other people groups in the Middle East that start with I, and (b) Japanese, so you think she'd be among the first to say rounding up and locking away a group of people solely based on their race is a bad idea.

Long story short: There weren't enough palms for my face.

(Footnote: I'm sure that Israeli terrorists do exist, as do Palestinian terrorists, just as terrorists/extremists exist in pretty much any ethnic/religious conflict that happens in the world, but that's a whole different ball game from what she was actually referring to.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:46:48 PM by murlough23 » Logged
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »

That steered the conversation towards how awful and ignorant it was of the US to lock up all of the Japanese people, and I mentioned how I hoped we had learned from that mistake and would never do anything like that again.

The US definitely learned their lesson about locking people up in prison camps hidden away somewhere in America. Now we lock them up in prison camps hidden away in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

I hope your wife's friend doesn't vote.

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:39 AM »

The US definitely learned their lesson about locking people up in prison camps hidden away somewhere in America. Now we lock them up in prison camps hidden away in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Awful treatment of those people notwithstanding, that at least was a case of locking up specific people convicted or at least suspected of specific crimes. We didn't lock up every US resident of a particular nationality. (I realize that this is a lot like saying "I've beaten my wife a few times, but I've never raped anybody." Not trying to excuse anything, just trying to call specific transgressions what they actually are.)

I was actually reading a blog lately by an American who had visited Guantanamo Bay; he was saying that since word got out of how badly prisoners there had been treated, they had basically overcorrected and were now being super-careful about it, to the point where prisoners now begged not to be transferred elsewhere because they knew they wouldn't be treated as well. Take that with however big a grain of salt you like.

I hope your wife's friend doesn't vote.

I'd bet good money she just blindly checks (R) because her church leaders say to do so, which of course is not an ideology I'm a fan of, but I guess at least she's pro-Israel without realizing it. (I'd rather someone try to understand the nuances of the conflict rather than blindly picking a side because their subculture says so, but it beats dealing with an actual anti-Semite.)

Anyway, those statements were just the tip of the iceberg in terms of realizing how immature her longtime friend was. Having her as a houseguest for a week was more challenging for my wife than it was for me. I'm not sure if it's because of negative changes/influences in this person's life since my wife moved away, or if she was just always like that and my wife was just too naive to notice any of it when they were younger. (I've noticed that the church culture both of them were brought up in is a surprising stronghold of conservatism despite Hawaii being a rather liberal state overall. My father-in-law once tried to convince me that Obama was secretly a Muslim. I'm sure a lot of them take that sort of thing at face value, which I'd expect in the Bible Belt or even in Orange County here in California, but it's a bit of a head-scratcher out there given how otherwise laid-back the culture is.)
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: August 04, 2015, 02:45:18 AM »

"Obama is secretly a Muslim" makes me laugh.

He is almost certainly (much like, I suspect, most presidents) secretly agnostic, though I'm not sure which one conservative Christians would consider to be worse. But if he were going to enact some secret pro-Islam agenda, one would think he would have started by now.

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: August 04, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »

"Obama is secretly a Muslim" makes me laugh.

He is almost certainly (much like, I suspect, most presidents) secretly agnostic, though I'm not sure which one conservative Christians would consider to be worse. But if he were going to enact some secret pro-Islam agenda, one would think he would have started by now.

Yeah, given how little wiggle room there is in Islam for things like "publicly declaring yourself as a member of another faith", "letting your wife and daughter show their faces on national television", etc., he'd be doing a really shitty job of furthering any conceivable Islamic agenda.

But then I suspect whoever started that rumor did so knowing it was ridiculous, and knowing enough conservative voters would be gullible enough to believe it anyway.

I try to avoid predicting who actually is and isn't a Christian, but there's a part of me that can't blame a guy for turning agnostic after getting treated so poorly by a lot of other so-called Christians. To me it's kind of a non-issue anyway. I expect the leader of our nation to treat people of all faiths and of no faith with equal respect and not seek to restrict their freedoms. Sadly it's gotten to the point where I'd expect an agnostic president to do a better job of that than a Christian president.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: August 19, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »

There's nothing like being immersed in a different culture to remind you about how stupid and arbitrary the things we consider normal are.

Here in New Zealand, they ask "how are you going?" instead of "how are you doing?". Which actually makes slightly more sense. It's like, "how am I doing what? Life? Breathing? Because the latter is pretty much an automatic response". But for some reason "how are you going?" sounds goofy to me, like something a urologist might ask a patient (yes, apparently we're working blue this morning).

I was warned when I moved that I might experience culture shock, which I guess is like an intense homesickness coupled with a knee-jerk reaction against all the things that are weird and different in my new culture. I feel like more than anything I've experienced reverse culture shock, where the things that are weird and different make me realize how weird the things I consider normal actually are.

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »

Here in New Zealand, they ask "how are you going?" instead of "how are you doing?". Which actually makes slightly more sense. It's like, "how am I doing what? Life? Breathing? Because the latter is pretty much an automatic response". But for some reason "how are you going?" sounds goofy to me, like something a urologist might ask a patient (yes, apparently we're working blue this morning).

Honestly, my first thought was something like, "I'm going by car", but your interpretation is way funnier. My favorite "blue" example of a riff on an otherwise innocuous greeting is from the movie Liar, Liar, where someone asks the lawyer-who-cannot-tell-a-lie, "How's it hanging?", and he is forced to admit, "Short, shriveled, and slightly to the left."

I had a friend in college who spent a semester in Australia; she said people at her "uni" would say something like "Are y'alright?" as a greeting, basically the same way we'd use "How are you?" or "How's it going?", etc. That took her aback because it sounded like they genuinely expected something might be wrong with her.

I was recently watching Welcome to Sweden (side note: curse you, NBC, for cancelling this wonderful little show!), and they had a bit about how people there ask "How are you?" and apparently genuinely want to know, which makes Americans seem weird for shrugging off the question as a mere greeting.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: August 19, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »

they had a bit about how people there ask "How are you?" and apparently genuinely want to know, which makes Americans seem weird for shrugging off the question as a mere greeting.

My high school Spanish teacher told the story of when he had first come to the US, someone would ask him "how are you?", and he would lean against the wall, sigh, say "well..." and then realize they had kept walking down the hallway and hadn't even waited for his answer!

(We've talked about this here before, here and here and here, all of which refer to an even earlier ur-conversation which I couldn't find via search. I finally buckled down and found what I believe is the first conversation on the topic (all the way back when I was in grad school!). Inevitably this thread spelunking involves me telling the same story multiple times, but a) the second time I told the story I called myself out for probably telling it more than once, and b) the story is remarkably consistent across retellings.

And now hopefully this post will leave enough breadcrumbs that future phorum delvers won't have to waste as much time as I did finding all the different times we talked about the same subject!)

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: August 19, 2015, 11:25:57 PM »

Man, I wish I had you around to stop me from telling the same stories to people that my wife's already heard me tell like fifty times.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: August 20, 2015, 12:12:39 AM »

Man, I wish I had you around to stop me from telling the same stories to people that my wife's already heard me tell like fifty times.
Pssh, that's nothing. One time I got some wires crossed and thought that a story I heard from my brother I had actually heard from my roommate, and I told my brother his own story as though it happened to someone else.

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: August 20, 2015, 12:19:24 AM »

Pssh, that's nothing. One time I got some wires crossed and thought that a story I heard from my brother I had actually heard from my roommate, and I told my brother his own story as though it happened to someone else.

I feel like it would be a fun social experiment to do that to someone intentionally. Except I'll make the details just vague enough that it'll have to slowly dawn on them that I've ripped off their own life experience for entertainment purposes.
whim
Phorum Phriend

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 30, 2016, 02:30:35 AM »

Makes no sense whatsoever to me that someone would grab a piece of paper to spit their gum in, only to grab the gum with their fingers to put it in the paper.  Same goes for just throwing the gum in a trash can. Why can't people just spit their gum directly into the trash can? Why must they touch it? And I've noticed people never wash their hands afterwards. 
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: August 30, 2016, 04:35:53 AM »

Say you've got a wastepaper basket - not a trashcan you'd use for perishables and other messy stuff that you'd put a trashbag in. I bet some folks grew up being used to spitting their gum into such a trashcan, maybe in school or something, if they wrapped it in paper first so it wouldn't stick to the sides of the can. It's still gross, of course. But it beats sticking it under a desk or something.

I had a science teacher in junior high who would explain, when students spit into the trashcan, that saliva actually had more bacteria than urine, so it would actually be more sanitary for them to pee in the trashcan. I'm surprised none of my classmates actually called his bluff on that one.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »

I'm surprised none of my classmates actually called his bluff on that one.

Not a bluff. That's a true statement.

When throwing away something sticky and unhygenic, it's courteous to wrap it in something first. Makes sense to me!

-Ed Hickling
whim
Phorum Phriend

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2016, 10:49:17 PM »

Okay, so apparently I need a better grasp on the english language.  I absolutely agree with putting the gum in paper!  What I cannot stand or understand is why someone would touch the gum with their fingers to put it in said paper.  And then not wash their hands.  That's disgusting.
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: August 31, 2016, 12:49:21 AM »

Not a bluff. That's a true statement.

In this case, "calling his bluff" would mean peeing in the trashcan.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: August 31, 2016, 10:53:50 AM »

In this case, "calling his bluff" would mean peeing in the trashcan.
You might need a better grasp on the meaning of the word "bluff".

Okay, so apparently I need a better grasp on the english language.  I absolutely agree with putting the gum in paper!  What I cannot stand or understand is why someone would touch the gum with their fingers to put it in said paper.  And then not wash their hands.  That's disgusting.
Ah, I see.

I have no standards whatsoever when it comes to germs (I would eat off the floor if the opportunity presented itself), but I at least understand where you're coming from now.

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: August 31, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »

You might need a better grasp on the meaning of the word "bluff".

Fine, I'll rephrase and say I'm surprised no one took him up on the implied dare, what with this being junior high.
whim
Phorum Phriend

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »

Mur regrets to this day not peeing in that trash can himself.  laugh
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2016, 02:38:05 AM »

Mur regrets to this day not peeing in that trash can himself.  laugh

Yeah, I'm still pissed about it. (Ba-dum-psh.)
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: September 27, 2016, 05:44:17 AM »

Thing that always annoys me on TV shows: Character A sees, experiences, or talks to someone that they don't want Character B to know about. Character B senses something is amiss and asks what's wrong, what happened, who were they talking to, etc. Character A's response is simply "Nothing" or "No one". Character B believes them and the scene continues with no follow-up questions. Come on, writers. At least have Character A come up with a believable lie, or have Character B call them on the obvious lie.
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: December 07, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »

I was having a conversation over our internal messaging program with a guy I was going to get lunch with. At one point I seriously wondered if he had been replaced by an idiot pretending to be him.

A: Still up for lunch?
Me: Lunch sounds great!
Me: When were you thinking?
A: Nothing fancy.
Me: Uh, so noonish?
A: Something cheap and quick, I was thinking
Me: Lol, I'm looking for a time
A: Noon is good
Me: Cool. How quick are we talking
A: I'm flexible. An hour at most, or longer if you have time

At this point I seriously reconsidered my plan to have lunch with him because he apparently doesn't understand the English language

-Ed Hickling
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: September 06, 2017, 02:02:09 AM »

Despite being an engineer, I'm not a very quantitative person. I have some friends who are, and they are always asking me to give a numerical rating to things which, to me, are difficult to put on a scale. For instance:

A: I hear you're sick
Me: Yeah, a bit
A: How sick are you on a scale of 1-10?
Me: Hmmm. So I'm assuming 10 is perfectly healthy and 0 is dead, which is why it wasn't included on the scale since you know I'm alive. Working upwards, I guess 1 would be non-vegetative comas (reserving fractional values below 1 for vegetative states), 2 would be full paralysis but technically alert or undergoing chemotherapy for terminal cancer. So then 3 would be...
A: Hey, I just asked for how sick you were
Me: I'm trying to figure that out!

(Lately I've come to wonder if maybe it's not that I'm not quantitative, it's that I'm so super quantitative I demand a rigorously-defined scale before I can quantify anything. The above anecdote seems to bear out this hypothesis.)

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: September 06, 2017, 04:01:58 AM »

So, how quantitative would you say you are, on a scale of 1 to... oh, I don't know, some hyperbolic concept that isn't a number that I'm putting at the opposite end of the scale just to irritate you?
Vlad!
Administrator
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm on a duck!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: September 06, 2017, 08:05:46 PM »

I've seen the trailer for the Lego Ninjago movie a lot lately because it's on in front of every Ghibli movie at the film festival that's going on. There's a scene where the protagonist loses an arm and says "how bad is it, on a scale of 1-10?" and his dad says "I'd say it's about a seven point arm ripped off".

-Ed Hickling
murlough23
Phorum Phenomenon

I'm different.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: September 06, 2017, 08:08:23 PM »

'Tis but a scratch!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Jump to: